Thursday 12 February 2009

Weren't the Woodentops good?


I don't know why but a song by the Woodentops popped into my head the other day, prompting me to fish out "Giant", their first album - on Rough Trade - which came out around the same time as the Smiths' debut in the mid-80s. There was quite a buzz about them at the time and I saw them live at least twice (they were top-notch live - very tight - very intense). But they seem to have become something of a forgotten band considering their prominence at the time. Anyway - I'm not about to write a potted history or a plea for recognition/reappraisal here. But I would like to say I massively enjoyed the first album on re-listening. I'll be putting at least a couple of Woodentops songs on February's compilation - freshly ripped and slightly scratchy from two decades old vinyl - nice.

No comments: