Friday 13 February 2009

A matter of local pride

Well there I was, crammed sardine-like into a Southwark bound Jubilee line tube on Wednesday night, subconsciously scanning those banner ads they have on the trains (they work so well becasue folk so strenousuly try to avoid eye contact that what else are they going to look at) when I spotted the one below for The Times and being a vinyl head I began mentally thumbing through my list of London emporiums trying to get a match. Then it dawned on me. Yes I do know it. But it's not a London shop at all. In fact it's Plastic Wax on Bristol's Gloucester Road (probably one of the last streets in Britain where you can still do a record shop crawl). Quite exciting really. Gave me some joy on a bloody horrible tube anyway. Must go up there at the weekend.

1 comment:

Hami said...

Yep, been there. I once spent 2 frustrating weeks in the early 90s trying to identify racks that Peel was browsing from a tiny grainy photo in Record Collector, only to finally recognise the much lamented Rock On in Camden from a tiny fragment of an ancient poster in the background. Sad but inevitable, I guess, if you spend so many hours at the 'rack face' as it were.
On another note. Good to see Fierce Panda reach 15. Some howlers in their catalogue, but some top top singles on the whole. 15 yrs of 45s, proving, you cannot - indeed - put your arms around a download.