Sunday 25 July 2010

Here We Go Magic - "Pigeons" - reminds me of Feelies family

Here We Go Magic is yet another in the seemlessly endless succession of bands out of Brooklyn. Just what is in the water there! This track is "Collector" off the album "Pigeons" and it really reminds me "Crazy Rhythms"-era Feelies and that is high praise indeed. But it's another Feelies-related act that springs to mind when listening to the rest of the album, the almost entirely forgotten Speed the Plough,  a brilliant band featuring various Feelies folks which released quite a few good albums and two spectacularly wonderful ones ("Speed the Plough" 1989 and "Wonder Wheel" 1991). I'd really recommend these if you ever see them (sadly they are long out of print). In the meantime  check out Here We Go Magic's album - it's definitely one of my faves so far this year.

ADDENUM 7th Aug 2010: I changed the Speed the Plough link above after John from the band informed me they were very much still going and have a current website with info on their activities.




MP3 - Here We Go Magic - Collector
MP3 - Here We Go Magic - Casual

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Thanks for the mention. Glad to know we're not entirely and completely forgotten. In fact, we've been quite busy lately. You can get the details at www.speedtheplough.com. Kinda dig "Pigeons." Maybe we should play with these guys sometime.
Best regards,
John (for Speed the Plough)

David Griffiths said...

hey there John - don't mention it - I'm more than chuffed that you liked my comment. I truly loved StP (and all the Feelies related bands - but esp. StP). Would love to know more about what you are up to. All the best.
David

Unknown said...

Hey David. Thanks for the link to our site. Yes, I guess we're back in action after our long hibernation. Released a new album – Swerve – in May. Played dates at the Living Room, Maxwell's and the Cake Shop in recent weeks. And we're mixing some new songs that we recorded in the last two weeks. My head spins at all the activity.